SharePoint 2013 - Search
Find out about the many other benefits of SharePoint 2013 and what they can do for your organization!
- Combination of FAST and SharePoint Search: all FAST Search Server and SharePoint features are now combined and available in SharePoint 2013
- Installed by default: no more separate FAST Search Server installation required, search is now a built-in service application
- Used pervasively throughout the platform: search is used in different features, content roll up, analytics, content query…etc.
- High Scalability: implicitly SharePoint 2013 search inherits the high scalability model of FAST Search Server
- Continuous Crawling: this is a new interesting feature where the farm administrator can enable continuous crawling for content so once you add a new document it can appear in the search results in matter of minutes, it will not even wait for indexing to finish to appear in the search results
- Site administrators can manage result sources:content sources are now called result sources. Result sources can be defined by a site administrator, not like the old days in which it was configured only through the service application
- Entity Extraction: a FAST search core feature; you can manage entity extraction through managed metadata settings in the term store, so you add new entities as a new term
- Schema management: schema is the columns you want to expose managed properties in the search and can be managed by the site administrators
- Custom Ranking Model: in SharePoint 2013 you can define custom ranking model for your search results through Powershell commands
- Query Suggestions: SharePoint 2013 suggests queries for the user based on the links the user has clicked before and based on other user search queries
- Query Rules: you can define rules for each query based on keywords or who is searching and based on this you can start different queries or change the original query
- Search Refinements: you can easily define search refinements through managed data through marking the term as available for refinement